Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Welcome!!

Welcome Friends!!

I am a ten-year survivor of domestic violence and have three-years in recovery from the relationship and mental illness.  Throughout the journey I have taught myself papercrafts as a manner of healthy therapy for the raw nerves sometimes involved.   My current project is an 8 x 8 album about TREES, and the ways that they have inspired me along this healing journey.

Below is the story of the TROUBLE TREE, written by an anonymous person:

The carpenter I hired to help me restore an old farmhouse had just finished a rough first day on the job. A flat tire made him lose an hour of work, his electric saw quit, and now his ancient pickup truck refused to start. While I drove him home, he sat in stony silence.
On arriving, he invited me in to meet his family. As we walked toward the front door, he paused briefly at a small tree, touching the tips of the branches with both hands. When opening the door he underwent an amazing transformation. His tanned face was wreathed in smiles and he hugged his two small children and gave his wife a kiss.
Afterward he walked me to the car. We passed the tree and my curiosity got the better of me. I asked him about what I had seen him do earlier.

"Oh, that's my trouble tree," he replied." I know I can't help having troubles on the job, but one thing's for sure, troubles don't belong in the house with my wife and the children. So I just hang them on the tree every night when I come home. Then in the morning I pick them up again."
He paused. "Funny thing is," he smiled, "when I come out in the morning to pick 'em up, there ain't nearly as many as I remember hanging up the night before."


I have used this Trouble Tree many times, many ways, such as a person who prays the Serenity Prayer.  My life-long love of these "kings of nature" that are given to us by our Higher Power has been both an inspiration and a teacher.  One should be patient, one should bend with the winds, one should have good roots.  Every year we should have new growth, but we should never deny our old growth. 

I hope you enjoy my posts!!
Betty Jo

1 comment:

  1. Now that is truly inspiring. I will start using that trouble tree to in my life. Life is not easy, but it sure can get to be fun if we open our eyes to the world of opportunities and let God into our hearts.

    ReplyDelete